Tuesday 2 December 2008

I have been tagged with a Green Meme 1





Green Meme 1

I’ve been tagged - by http://compostbins.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much CW!!!!

The Guidelines:

1. Link to
Green Meme Bloggers
2.Link to whoever tagged you
3.Include meme number
4.Include these guidelines in your post
5.Answer questions ( which are quite thought provoking!)
6.Tag 3 other green bloggers.

1. Name two motivations for being green

My first motivation for been green was brought
about by my love of nature and hearing about so many animals/plants etc
becoming endangered due to pollution and the way 'man' is treating the planet. No
better reason for been motivated personally to contribute to the saving of
the 'planet'

My second motivation was the birth of my
children I wanted them to have a safe and happy environment to live in and by
bringing them up with my green beliefs will hopefully go towards making our
precious planet a better place to live .

2. Name 2 eco-unfriendly items you refuse to give up

My computer.... such a useful part of my life.
I try to compensate its use by not putting on the television/radio

My tumble drier.. I live in a small home and to
have wet washing draped around in the winter would be most unpleasant, and
impractical. I do my best to put it outside and line dry it when I can and thus
reducing the length of time I have to use of the drier.

3. Are you at peace with, or do you feel guilty about no.2?

I do not feel guilty so guilty about using the
computer because I shop online instead of having to drive into town to shop, this
saves on fuel which would have to be used to go into town. I also cut down
on the use of other electrical items to make up for my computer usage.

The use of the drier does make me feel guilty
but I am as economical as I can be with the length of time I use it.

4. What are you willing to change but feel unable to/stuck with/unsure how to go about it?

I would like to be able to use solar panels and
wind combine energy but due to where I live I am unable to do go ahead with
these ideas, so I am stuck with leaving things as they are.

5. Do you know your carbon footprint for your home? If so, is it larger/smaller than your national average?

Sorry no I don't. Something I have been meaning
to do for a while now. I would hope it would be on the low side as we try to be
as careful as we can with our energy usage.

6.What’s eco-frustrating and/or eco-fantastic about where you live?

Eco-frustrating is the use of pesticides in
surrounding fields. I cannot believe the amount of times the farmers spray the
fields during the crop growing season. I love living in the countryside but
really detest the chemicals that are used on crops. The chemicals in the air are
choking after a field spray and we are very careful to keep away from a recently
sprayed field. I love living in the country but do worry about the effects these
chemicals are having humans , wildlife and the environment.

Eco-fantastic is the latest recycling scheme
our local council have provided. We have green wheelie bins for garden waste,
although most of my garden waste (apart from weeds) goes into my own composters.
We have a fortnightly wheelie bin collection for recyclable materials such as
glass, cardboard, plastic which is absolutely fantastic, and a weekly wheelie
bin collection for normal household rubbish.

7. Do you eat local/organic/vegetarian/forage/grow you own?

We eat organic food. Some of the food is local,
some is not. We are not vegetarians, we have tried a vegetarian diet
and also vegan, but its not for us, but we make sure that the meat we eat is
organic. I do forage for foods and will collect blackberries or nuts when
in season. Would like to find out more about foraging as rosehips and
elderberries have been in abundance this year. We do grow our own but are
limited for space so try to utilise most of the garden.

8. What do you personally find the most challenging in being green?

It can be time consuming and also hard work.
Also some times hard on the budget, especially organic foods and clothing.

9. Do you have a green confession?

Yes and no... I am not going to feel guilty
over it as I do my level best to be as green and organic as possible, but at
times I may have to wear non organic clothing or use on
occasions non organic foods. I do have a budget and sometimes my budget will not
always stretch to totally organic and as much as I hate it I have to concede.
The budget is top of my list during these difficult financial times!

10. Do you have the support of family and/or friends?

Yes totally! My husband is with me all the way
and my children have been brought up with my green/organic methods and they too
are happy to continue with that lifestyle. My friends are happy to go along with
my lifestyle and support me in many ways.

Thank you CW for the gift of this Green Meme, I
have really enjoyed doing it !!


And now I would like to pass it onto three other lovely bloggers (will try not to tag anyone who has already been tagged with the Green Meme before)

1) http://teawithwillow.blogspot.com/

2) http://swan-songs.blogspot.com/

3) http://somersetseasons.blogspot.com/














6 comments:

Willow said...

Thanks for sending me this, Jane - it's really interesting. I will definitely get around to answering the questions - very good for refocusing the mind!

Kiss on the nose for Basil!

Willow x

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jane, I read this meme on bee-leaf.blogspot and was thinking about these things already and now you've given me the opportunity to include it in my next blog. Glad Basil is improving a bit. x

Leanne said...

Hi jane, I will try to sit down and do this too, I just need an hour spare!

leanne x

Sol said...

Morning, loved this post, it was honest. I to use my tumble dryer once a week. I feel really bad about it, but I work full time and it is now winter, I couldnt possibly line dry at this time of year.

On Organic clothing, there is a company I think is called Tree, or something like that. I will find the link when I am at home and then post it in a comment for you. Practically priced and made very well, also fair trade so I dont feel guilty some child has made it instead of being at school.

Also Marks and Spencers have started to sell organic clothes. I havent really had a chance to look. So I cant comment on the standards of the garments. But if it is M&S can they be that bad?

Have a great day! Oh and on foraging, go and enter my giveaway. You might win the book! Good luck.

Compostwoman said...

I am glad you enjoyed doing this!

I, too have big issues about buying clothes, being a big lady I am not able to get stuff from the usual ethical stockists....( when will someone start doing "big" organic clothes...?)

Theres a business start up for someone I am sure!


I guess I just should lose weight...ho hum...

and cost of stuff...oh yes...I find myself having internal debates about buying non organic stuff.."is it ethical and free range EVEN though its not organic? shall I just not get it?...shall I get X instead? "

I HATE shoppingn now, its even more stressful than it was before!

Compostwoman said...

Meant to add...I thought your post was really thought provoking and I love these green memes! they throw up such interesting glimpses of why we do, what we all do!