Monday 8 December 2008

Basil is a lot better now......

As mentioned in earlier posts, Basil was quite poorly over the last week or so with stomach problems. I have now managed to get him back on his much needed painkiller without it upsetting his stomach... thankfully!!

Our vet was becoming quite concerned that due to the long term digestive problems Basil has now developed he may well be rejecting his painkiller. After a recent upset stomach we had to take Basil off his painkiller for a week to allow Basil's stomach to settle down again. Poor Basil was in so much pain at the end of that week, and could hardly stand after lying down for any length of time. Its so hard to witness a much loved pet in pain. I was really worried when resuming the painkillers that he would become ill again. I am not really sure what the outcome would have been if he had totally rejected those painkillers.

Anyway Basil is back on the painkillers and a much happier dog. I started his new multi vitamins on Saturday and so far so good. Basil now has to have multivitamins due to his now permanent diet of chicken and rice. The chicken and rice is a meal that suits his digestive system and Basil also enjoys it a great deal (again thankfully!!) but it does lack vital nutrients and thus the need for multivitamins. Basil will have regular blood tests to check to see if the multivitamins are meeting his nutrient requirements and I guess our fantastic vet will tweak the vitamins accordingly.

So we now hope Basil will be able to remain free of stomach upsets, thus staying happily on his painkillers until he finally has his hip replacements....
We love you with all of our hearts dearest Basil......



6 comments:

Willow said...

Oh Jane, it's so good to see a photo of Basil up & about again .. he looks much happier! I bet he's missed his lovley walks across the fields. Fingers crossed that the vitamins etc will 'top up' his diet & he will remain happy & healthy!

Thanks for your Green Meme tag .. I will get around to it eventually! I think we're all chasing our tails at the moment, aren't we?! Take care!
Willow x

Compostwoman said...

Oh I am SO glad he is feeling better! :-)

and it must be a relief for you as well, not just because he was in so much pain but also it must have been a lot of worry and extra work for you... :-(

I know you don't begrudge him the worry or work AT ALL...and neither would I with any of my animals, but still....

Hope you can now enjoy "walkies" with him again!

Give him a hug from me!

S x

Ruth said...

I'm glad to hear Basil is feeling a bit better. Purdy is still sneezing, but seems a bit more like her old self. The vet says the sneezing is cat flu, which she will have had sionce she was akitten - it attacks when their immune system is low.

ICQB said...

I'm so glad to see Basil is feeling better! And that he can stomach his pain medication. Our Strider also has bad hips, so I understand the worry about not being able to stomach the pain meds.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and having a look around! I gave Strider his doggie pat, and as soon as I catch the kitten, I will give her a snuggle for you (she's usunally on the move).

I will take a picture of the grooming comb we use on Strider and post it on my blog. Hy husband found it last summer. It seems to do the trick, and Strider likes it much better than our other brushes and combs.

Have a lovely day - we'll think of you and Basil while we go for walkies today!

ICQB (Linda)

Ragged Roses said...

That is such good news, hooray for Basil. I am so pleased for you, it is so hard to watch one of our pets when they;re ill, take care. Hugs for Basil
Kimx

Moonroot said...

So glad to hear Basil is feeling better. As you say, it's so hard to see a beloved animal in pain.

I am finally getting around to doing the Tree of Happiness! thank you for tagging me, it has been a positive exercise to do. :-)